For further information, visit www.plb.iowa.gov
Getting Your SALESPERSON Real Estate License:
- A salesperson must be assigned to a licensed broker or firm and cannot conduct business independently.
- You must be 18 years of age or older. (You may actually sit for the exam before you are 18, but you MUST be 18 before you make the application for a license, which must be within six months after you pass the exam.) An applicant is not ineligible because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, residency or citizenship although the application form may require citizenship information.
- You must not have had an application rejected for licensure in this or any other state within twelve months prior to the date of application, and whose real estate license has not been revoked in this or any other state within two years prior to the date of application.
- Take a 60 Hour Pre-License class and pass the Real Estate Exam
- Complete three additional classes: Developing Professionalism & Ethical Practices (12 hours), Listing Practices (12 hours) and Buying Practices (12 hours)
- Complete a background check, which expires after 210 days, and may take up to 10 weeks to complete
- Proof of Errors & Omissions Insurance
- Fill out Application
Courses may be taken in any order, must be completed during the 12 months prior to license application